Home page | About us | Architectural Services | Adding Value | Contact us | Terms and Conditions | Privacy policy

Home About us Architectural services Adding value Contact us 

Frequently asked Questions


Related Links

Sub Menu

Book a Free Initial design Visit

Will your company know our Local Authority?

We will if you are local to us, if not we carry out full research of your Local Authorities Planning guidelines.

Are your initial design visits free?

We do not charge for site visits since we operate in London area and within the M25.

Does the architectural fees include the fee for Planning and Building regulation applications?

Our architectural fees do not include cost for planning and building regulations applications. council fees for domestic extensions are currently Planning applications- £172,  lawful development certificate - £86  and Building regulation applications - £100 and upwards.

What kind of fee basis do you work to?

There are three main stages in the design process 1) sketch design 2) planning drawings and 3) Building Regulations drawings.  All our fees are fixed for each of work.

When are your fees due?

Our fees are due for each completed stage of work, so for example when the planning drawings are completed and are ready for submission to the planning dept you would invoiced for that stage of work.

My neighbour got planning approval for an extension, I want to do the same as them?

When the planning dept looks at each individual case the proposals are judged on their own merits. Planning policies for a local authorities change over time.  For what your neighbour could have done then you cannot do now because planning policy may changed.  

What is Planning permission?

If your proposals involve House Extension, external house alterations, house conversion to flats you will require planning permission.  Planning Applications  are decided by a local planning committee. Planning guidelines for proposals  can differ between councils.  Planning applications can take 8-10 weeks to  get processed whether the proposals are small or large in scale. .

What are Permitted development rights?

Not all projects require planning permission, if you have never had extensions on your property before, do not live in a listed building or in a conservation area and fitting other criteria you may qualify for a Lawful Development Certificate.

What is Listed Building consent?

Buildings in the UK of exceptional architectural interests are officially listed according to their status and importance.  A great number of residential buildings are listed grade 2, which means that all alterations to the interior and exterior have to be approved by English Heritage or the Local Authorities Conservation Officer.  Generally getting Listed Building consent is actually more cumbersome than getting planning consent.

What is the Building Regulations?

When a Home Extension, loft conversion is designed it needs to comply with Building Regulations which is a set of minimum standards for design and health and safety in Building works. These standards are enforced by your councils building control department These standards are for; Structure, Drainage, Plumbing, Ventilation, Materials, Insulation, means of escape for fire, etc.

Making a Building Regulation application.

In domestic projects you have one of two routes to make a building Regulation application:

1) Full Plans application which involves submitting detailed drawings and structural calculations which are approved before you start works.

2) Building Notice application which involves submitting a  building notices when starting on site and liasing with building control officer who checks and approves works at regular intervals.

What is the Party Wall Act?.

If you are thinking of altering or extending your home? This Act may apply to you. The Party Act came into force on 1 July 2021 and applies throughout England and Wales. It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes relative to Party Walls, Boundary Walls and Excavations near Neighbouring Buildings. Anyone intending to carry out work of the kinds described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.

What is 'The Right to Light'?

One of the most commonly misunderstood legal issues relating to property is the 'right to light'. Your neighbour may attempt to block your plans to extend your home by claiming they have a legal `right to light' to one or more of their windows. There is such a thing as a legally established right to light, usually established automatically `by prescription' after 20 years, however, it is only relevant in limited circumstances. A right to light is a type of easement, like a right of way, and overrides any planning permission you might have and your Permitted Development Rights. It can in theory, therefore, prevent you from blocking out a neighbour's window.

FAQ’s | Architectural, Planning permission UK Building regulation issues

FAQ’s about Planning permission UK Building regulations and other statutory issues